Want to know more about the Cambodian culture, so you can ensure you are respecting the people and traditions when you visit? We have compiled this short list covering the basics of do's and don'ts when visiting the country.
Things to Do
- Greet people with your palms placed together against your chest.
- Cover up your shoulders, chests, knees and stomachs. The Khmer culture is a modest one, especially at temples and pagodas.
- Ask before you take a photo, to ensure the person is comfortable.
- Say no to children who are trying to sell you souvenirs, or asking for money or food.
- Take your shoes and socks off when entering a pagoda, office or home.
Things to Avoid
Visiting an orphanage. 75% of the children in them have been taken away from their families to fuel the demand of tourists.
Touching anyone's head, as it is considered the most sacred part of the body.
Displaying physical affection in public.
Pointing the soles of your feet towards anyone, as it is considered the dirtiest part of the body.